Rental of our Building
The First Unitarian Society welcomes you to rent church space for your group or organization. As a privilege of membership, FUUSN members may use the space for an adjusted fee. Anyone using the space, including members, must fill out a Building Use Application. The following rooms are available:
- Alliance Room
- Ladies’ Parlor
- Parish Hall
- Children’s Chapel
- Turtle Room
- Downstairs Classrooms
- Headstart Room
- Downstairs Kitchen
The Alliance Room is located on the first floor next to the kitchen. This is a medium-sized space with comfortable seating for 100 with folding chairs added. Fee: $500.
The Ladies’ Parlor is a small space with comfortable seating for 15. Fee: $200.
The Parish Hall* has a capacity of 160-180. Tables and chairs are available. This space may be rented with or without the kitchen. Fee: $1,000.
The Children’s Chapel has a seating capacity of 34-40. This space is equipped with a piano and both stacked and folding chairs. Folding tables may be brought in from the closet under the stairs. Fee: $400.
The Turtle Room is a classroom that is suitable for small children’s groups. Fee: $150.
There are five Downstairs Classrooms. The capacity of these rooms varies between 15-30. Fee: $150 per classroom.
The Headstart Room has seating capacity for 75-100. It’s located on the second floor with an adjoining kitchen and toilet facilities. This space is not handicapped accessible but is ideal for exercise and dance classes. Fee: $600. There is an adjacent space, a partially functional kitchen with a long table and chairs; the fee for both is $800.
The Sanctuary* seating capacity is 550 on the floor and 68 in the upstairs gallery. The use of this space must be in keeping with its historic purpose. Fee: $2000.
The Downstairs Kitchen* can be rented with the Alliance Room, Parish Hall or Sanctuary. Fee: $300.
*These spaces are rented with the understanding that the reserved space may be withdrawn should it be needed for a deceased member’s memorial service and reception. All equipment in these spaces must be used in compliance with the posted operating instructions. Do not leave food in the refrigerator. The space must be cleaned and trash bagged and removed. Fee: $150
To Rent Space
Call the administrator, 617-527-3203, to check space availability and obtain a Building Use Form from the office and either drop off or mail the filled-out form with a $100 deposit to the First Unitarian Universalist Society in Newton, 1326 Washington Street, Newton, MA 02465.
Checks should be made payable to the First Unitarian Universalist Society in Newton. Final payment must be received on or before the date of use. FUUSN reserves the right to rescind or reassign the space should it be needed for a memorial service and reception.
Rentals for Weddings
Contact Fran Clancy, 617-527-3203, to secure the society for a wedding. Weddings have a special set of considerations including how one arranges for an officiant to perform the ceremony and who may make use of the piano and organ. Please call as much in advance as possible to see if space is available. All rules of building use apply. Please see our weddings page for additional information.
Refunds: In the event of a cancellation, refunds will be made as follows:
- 3 months prior to use – Full refund
- Less then 3 months to 1 month – 50 percent
- Less than 1 month – No refund
The person who signs the request form is responsible for ensuring that the following conditions are met:
- Please enforce the no smoking rule in the building.
- Please see that no food is brought into the sanctuary. All persons using the kitchen facilities must comply, per order of the city health department, with all posted food safety rules. Unfortunately, no storage is available for personal property, supplies, food, etc.
- Before you leave, please ensure that all furniture/equipment is restored to its original location, that the lights are turned off, and the doors locked.
- Any damage, regardless of how minor, must be reported to the office. The person who signed the Building Use Form bears the cost of repair.
- Office equipment is available to eligible society members only.
- Please supervise children at all times for their own safety. The community counts on guests who rent the space to treat the church building and properties with respect and to leave them clean and in order.