New to FUSN / Directions, Parking
Easy to Find, Street Parking and Lots Are Nearby
The First Unitarian Society in Newton, often called FUSN (pronounced "few-zen") by members and friends, is located at 1326 Washington Street in West Newton, Massachusetts, at the corner of Washington and Highland streets.
FUSN is across from the Newton police station, near the West Newton Cinema, where Route 16 crosses the Mass. Turnpike. Get directions from your home by typing in the address in MapQuest, Google, or other mapping services.
FUSN is located in West Newton Square, which has on-street parking—in the downtown area as well as on nearby streets—and several public parking lots. Parking lots are located between Cherry and Elm Streets near the Greater Boston Chinese Cultural Association, behind the police station, and a commuter lot is accessible off Washington Street, across the Local restaurant. Please carefully read the parking restriction signs!
The Newton Community Service Center (NCSC) allows parking in its lot weekdays after 6:30 p.m. and anytime on weekends with the exception of the reserved parking spaces in front of the building on Saturday nights. The entrance to the NCSC lot is off of Waltham Street behind the CVS parking lot, which is not available for parking.
Please avoid the Santander Bank lot; cars parked there may be towed.
There is a small staff parking lot at the rear of the building. On Sunday mornings, the staff makes these spaces available for those with mobility issues.
A commuter rail and several MBTA buses stop in West Newton Square near FUSN. You can check routes and times for the Framingham/Worcester commuter rail and for local and express bus service through the MBTA Rider Tools—just put in FUSN's address, 1326 Washington Street, West Newton MA 02465, to get current information.
The building has six entrances. On Sunday morning, the entrance on Highland Street and the main entrance on Washington Street are most frequently used and lead directly into the sanctuary. A side entrance to the left of the driveway and under the archway also leads to the sanctuary. The double doors above the steps at the end of the driveway lead to the children's classroom corridor and to the kitchen. The double-door Washington St. entrance at the west end of the building leads directly into the Parish Hall, the Alliance Room, and kitchen.
At the back of the building, through the small parking lot and the gate in the chain-link fence, is a single door that serves as the handicapped entrance. This door leads to an entrance at the front of the sanctuary and to the corridor containing the minister's office, the religious education offices, the administrator's office, and a door to the children's classroom corridor.